"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
~ Edmund Burke

Friday, February 6, 2009

We surround them

I've got to say that I just love Glenn Beck. He's not a fence sitter, and he doesn't define himself by a political party. He is a true conservative, and I guess that's how I see myself, which is probably one of the reasons I like the guy so much. He brings critical issues to light that are largely ignored by the rest of the media.

So many of us who truly believe in this country, but think common sense is dead, feel alone these days. When one caller said he was ready to unplug because he was so frustrated, Glenn asked him to give him a few weeks to prove that he wasn't alone. Today, Glenn starts trying to make this idea into a reality. Step one---if you believe in the principles that this country was founded on---please email an individual picture of you--and each member of your family who wants to participate to wesurroundthem@gmail.com

Because so many Americans feel like they cannot possibly make a difference, Glenn is going to help start a grass-roots movement of regular people who agree with 7 out of 9 of the following statements (in his own words):

1) Yes or no: Do you believe America is a good place, that we've lost our way over the years, that we have done bad things but generally speaking we tried hard. We try to make amends. We have tried to do the right thing. Just like everybody else, we fail from time to time. But gosh, if you look at America, she's good and our founders were good and our founding documents are good. We've just strayed too far away from them. Yes or no.

2) Yes or no: I believe in God. I may not go to the same church or synagogue or mosque as the majority of people in America, but I believe in God and he is the center of my life, and God does not tell people to behead others or to persecute others that see God in a different way. Yes or no.

3) Yes or no: It is my responsibility to try to be better and a more honest person than I was yesterday. Sometimes I fail, I'll make mistakes, but it's my main mission to be better than I was personally than I was yesterday.


4) Yes or no: The family is sacred. I and my spouse are the ultimate authority under God when it comes to my family. I raise my family, and that comes with a grave responsibility. If I fail, I answer to God.

5) Yes or no: If you break the law, you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.

6) Yes or no: I have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but that is not a guarantee of equal results.

7) Yes or no: I work hard for what I have, and I will share it with others that I choose when I choose, should I choose. Government cannot force me to be charitable.

8) It is not un-American for anyone to disagree with my opinion, but my opinion or others' opinions may be anti-American. Anti-American rhetoric would be anything that is destructive to the Constitution and our country as our founders understood it.

9) And the last one is the government works for me. The government answers to me. I do not answer to the government.

I thought this was worth sharing, because I have frankly long wanted to unite with others who feel as I do - mainly that the government needs to get the heck out of the way and stop messing things up more! (I know that is a simplistic, completely unsophisticated generalization, but I think you know what I mean)

So, if you agree with the majority of the above statements and want your voice to be heard (and your radiant face to be seen!), then send your beautiful picture to wesurroundthem@gmail.com.

Cheerio!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I agreed with every statement he made! That was awesome! (I also sent my email :)

Lynette said...

Absolutely Love it! We will be sending our emails. This is such a great blog idea, Michelle!

Angie Larkin said...

Where did I recently hear this quote? Perhaps it was your blog hee hee...but Eleanor Roosevelt said something along the lines of "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people." What a perfect example of opening our minds to something greater by reading your blog. Good job. For some reason I haven't been able to add any new blogs to my blogroll, but as soon as I get that kink worked out, I will be add this one.

I was just discussing the fact that I didn't like the gov. compelling us to be charitable. I think that should come from the individual.

i said...

michelle for president!!! :) love you!

Megan said...

What an excellent blog! Karl and I will most assuredly be devoted followers. We love Glenn as well. And SO wish he would run for president.